Thursday, May 2, 2013

Me versus I




Far too many authors get this wrong.

Here’s the rule. Use I when it’s the subject of the sentence, just as you would use he or we.
John and I are going to the swimming pool. This is correct because you would say We are going to the swimming pool.

Use me when it’s the object of the verb just as you would use her, us or them.
The green tree frog smiled at John and me. This is correct because you would say The green tree frog smiled at us.

If you find subjects and objects tricky and would have no idea what I meant if I explained them as nominative (when the pronoun is the subject) and accusative (when the pronoun is the object) case, use this trick.
Take out all the extra words in the sentence and just use the pronoun.
John and I are going to the swimming pool = I am going. You wouldn’t say Me is going. So I is right.
The green tree frog smiled at John and me = It smiled at me. You wouldn’t say It smiled at I. So me is right.

Helen Woodall
helen.woodall@gmail.com

Helen is available to line edit and/ or content edit fiction and non-fiction. Rates on application.





No comments: