Monday, May 8, 2017

Achievement unlocked. Helen sees white kangaroos


So it turns out that white kangaroos are extremely camera shy.

This is the sort of land where they live. Bordertown is the absolute middle of nowhere, just on the South Australian side of the SA/Victoria border.


I chatted to the locals and learned where the white kangaroos like to hang out, then drove my motorhome as close as I could get to the paddock. I could see maybe five white blobs in the distance. As soon as I zoomed my camera in to look at them they bounded off into the distance. My RV and I pursued them along a track that was probably not designed for cars let alone motor homes. The roos saw me coming and headed off in the opposite direction. It took me quite a while to negotiate a U-turn (did I mention the track was very narrow? And there were 2 trees in my way as well). But finally one of the white roos stared at me and permitted me to take its photo.


I also visited one of the original 1955 soldier settlements. This area was pioneered by servicemen who returned from the Second World War. There was nothing at all here and they built a farming community between them.


Back across the border in Victoria, I visited the site of the Gold Miner's first hospital 1859.


Fascinating stuff, history.

Helen

No comments: